[Nix-dev] monitor.nixos.org

Rok Garbas rok at garbas.si
Mon Nov 28 15:11:15 CET 2016

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Bjørn Forsman <bjorn.forsman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 November 2016 at 14:18, Profpatsch <mail at profpatsch.de> wrote:
>> On 16-11-12 06:39pm, Rok Garbas wrote:
>>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Daniel Frank
>>> I wrote recently[1] how we tackle this problem at RelEng team at
>>> Mozilla. I'm slowly moving all my nix projects to do the same. I will
>>> also do the same for the packages I manage in nixpkgs at least that is
>>> what I will write to Santa this year, to give me more time to play
>>> work on nixpkgs :)
>>>

>>> [1] https://garbas.si/2016/updating-your-nix-sources.html
>>
>> So you had a very similar idea about update scripts.
>>
>> We should chat about that; I think there should be a system
>> in place for derivations to specify how the next version can
>> be found and if possible how to automatically update the version
>> tags & hashes.
>>
>> Those can obviously not be executed by nix itself, but by other
>> systems like the nixos monitor.
>
> My wish is for Nix to adopt Guix interface for updating package sources:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Invoking-guix-refresh

All of this ideas are nice and good, but still common thing across all
this ideas is to describe how to refresh/update/move-to-next-version
with the nix expression of the program.

And this is also where the "hard" work is.

I shown in my blog post how to use Travis as the CI which runs the
update scripts for your projects.

How we hook this with hydra is for me irrelevant at this point. There
are many ways how to do this, but not having this hooked with hydra
should not stop us from adding this update script with expressions.
even more we should require every new package to come with an update
script.

To start this we _only_ need to agree how we call this passthru
attribute :) ... update, updateSrc, refresh, refreshSrc, nextVersion,

Anyway I'm currently managing many projects like this which would be
impossible to do if i wouldn't automate this.

-- Rok