[Nix-dev] Better support for channels in nixos

Matthew O'Gorman mog at rldn.net
Thu Sep 1 20:33:30 CEST 2016

I don't know if I am going to use the right vocabulary, but as we get
closer to the next release I thought I would bring up my need for
supporting multiple channels at the nixos level.

For example, currently in unstable there is a package for mosquitto
service, where as the current release only has the actual application.
Another example would be I am developing a service that I want to test
on my system.  One way to fix both of these problems is to just point my
system at the unstable channel, but given my system is used for more
things that is not preferable, another option could be allowing
containers to specify a channel and then I could run each of these
projects in their own nixos container. Given that we are about to lock
down for another 6 months I was hoping we could address this.

If I am mistaken about this please correct me.

thanks

--
Matthew O'Gorman
BM-NBUmia4p88Jny5bZbRGcMt64SWWp5WVv
Xim/Email: mog at rldn.net
mog at rldn:~$ fortune wisdom -s|cowsay -f /dev/null
/ Life is the living you do, Death is the \
| living you don't do.                    |
\ -- Joseph Pintauro                      /