[Nix-dev] Limiting access to only maintained packages and ensuring core packages are maintained

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Sat Sep 3 13:24:48 CEST 2016

Layus <layus.on at gmail.com> writes:

> Could you elaborate more on how you plan to implement this ?
> Who will be responsible to maintain maintainers ;-) ?
> Do you plan to automate it somehow ?

The first thing, straightforward to do, is add an option to not build
unmaintained packages and add a jobset to build this set. Second is to
publicize the decided-upon policies to devs and users through
documentation. Then there are a few routes that in some combination can
hopefully maintain maintainership:

1. Some people can regularly watch or even possibly subscribe to the
   "maintained" jobset. If something fails, they can reach out and
   eventually remove the maintainer from that package if appropriate
2. We can have issue tags differentiating issues with maintained vs
   unmaintained packages. For PRs this can even be automated. Again
   people watching those tags can make a change if there is an
   unresponsive maintainer
3. We can encourage users to first try to get the attention of the
   maintainers of the relevant packages and then escalate to a list of
   maintainer maintainers if no response is forthcoming.

Any other ideas that might be useful here?