[Nix-dev] 16.09 beta released

Domen Kožar domen at dev.si
Tue Sep 6 22:02:28 CEST 2016

Hi all,

I'd like to announce NixOS 16.09 beta in the name of community.

This release will bring two major changes:

- multiple outputs, reducing runtime closure size (sometimes even by half)
- security hardening flags

Please upgrade channels as usual and test:

    $ nix-channel --add https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-16.09 nixos
    $ nixos-rebuild switch --upgrade

I'd like to point out two serious bugs that you might hit:

- dbus will fail to reload, see
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/18358
- make sure /var/empty doesn't have write permissions set otherwise sshd
won't start, see https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/18365

If you'd like to help out, test and check the github bug tracker under
16.09 milestone.

As usual, we're working on getting build failures down:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/18209

Final is set to be release on 29th September.

I've also finally put together a PR that documents the release process, any
feeback is welcome (it's still far from perfect):
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/18062

PS: 16.09-small channel will be also created once container tests are fixed

Domen