[Nix-dev] Override bash or submit alternative bash pkgs to nixpkgs?

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Fri Sep 9 12:51:29 CEST 2016

Hi,

I want to try out a patched bash:

    https://github.com/calid/bash

because of the enhanced prompt indicators for vi-mode:

    https://github.com/calid/bash#bash-with-configurable-mode-strings

The bash is not changed from the original bash, as far as I can see,
it just uses this modified readline:

    https://github.com/calid/readline/tree/modestrs-bash-embedded

My question is: What would be my approach in trying this out?
Overriding the bash package for my local machine? If yes, how? I found
out that I do not have bash in my `systemPackages` - where is it set?
I assume it is set implicitely somewhere?

Or would it be better so submit a modification to readline so one can
build bash with the modified readline right from the nixpkgs
repository?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,