[Nix-dev] NixOps usage survey.

Aloïs Cochard alois.cochard at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 13:54:56 CEST 2016

Hi everybody,

Thanks so much for you very valuable feedback :-)
It's great to see other use it and have success (or gonna to know about the
issues you guys faced).

We'll definitely take all your recommendation into account!

Again, thanks for the great stories you shared

Alois

On 7 September 2016 at 17:44, Domen Kožar <domen at dev.si> wrote:

> I'm using NixOps to boot strap servers and then they auto upgrade based on
> channels from Hydra:
>
> https://github.com/snabblab/snabblab-nixos#automatic-deployments
>
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2016 at 4:47 PM, zimbatm <zimbatm at zimbatm.com> wrote:
>
>> I've been using NixOPS for my personal servers (on Vultr) and I couldn't
>> be happier. I'm deploying a rails app and I never had a better experience
>> than that, even on Heroku. The initial setup take a bit longer but it
>> already paid back in terms of no-brainer deploys. I love it that I can
>> share configuration between my own machine and servers and not have to
>> worry about state.
>>
>> In a work context I think I would need a couple of more things.
>>
>> Because of how the nixos activation scripts are working it's quite hard
>> to do zero-downtime deploys unless you have a load-balancer in front. Right
>> now it takes down the old version and then boots the new version. It's
>> simple but it also leaves a gap where users get 503 status codes.
>>
>> I would probably also setup a "deploy" gateway machine to keep the
>> deployment centralized.
>>
>> One issue is that because NixOps is using a push model it doesn't work
>> very well with auto-scaling. Usually in that setup the machine is pulling
>> the configuration on boot. I think with a proper API interface on the
>> deploy gateway it should be possible to handle that case but it's not
>> supported out of the box.

>>> identical
>>> locations of
>>>

>>> Yeah, develop in VBox, deploy to everywhere. The other day I moved one
>>> of the machines from EC2 to Hetzner... in the blink of an eye :-)

*Λ\oïs*
http://twitter.com/aloiscochard
http://github.com/aloiscochard