[Nix-dev] Nix init system

Robin Gloster robin at loc-com.de
Mon Apr 3 11:48:18 CEST 2017

Hi,

You might be interested in GuixSD then, their development comes from a common point but they have decided to use GNU's shepherd init system. For myself it sadly doesn't manage to reach the value i get from NixOS but it definitely is one of the best options available! And I'd be happy to be informed about any better option as I haven't seen one.

Alternatively you might just be interested in that actually you are by far not the first to express some dislike for systemd, partly probably because of valid reasons. We have always expressed our appreciation of people working on a service abstraction layer and supporting other init systems, too, but for some reason the people crying out the loudest have not been that supportive in actually putting work into their cause. And although we have quite a number of contributors all of them are quite occupied with the work they are doing now and have higher priority and interest in other stuff.

So long and thanks for the fish
Robin

PS: actually GuixSD will be looking for motivated contributors so you may be better off with just (s)trolling along ¯\_(ツ)_/¯