[Nix-dev] Trying to compile palemoon with gcc49

Christoph-Simon Senjak christoph.senjak at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 4 05:05:54 CEST 2017

Hi.

I have some bug in the palemoon browser, which I already asked in the
palemoon forum [1]. The compile flags can be viewed in
about:buildconfig, I attached it to this mail. It apparently uses gcc 5.4.0.

So I was trying to override this package in my ~/config.nix. I have the
channel [2] named "unstable" for this user, and the system wide channel
[3] as "nixos". My current ~/config.nix I pasted in [4]. The error
message is

error: attribute ‘palemoon’ missing, at
/home/christoph/.nixpkgs/config.nix:33:16

which apparently means that it cannot find pkgs.palemoon. This might be
due to the fact that palemoon is only in the unstable channel, not in
the nixos one.

So I would appreciate your help with these two questions:
1. how can I override packages from the unstable channel?
2. probably it would be a good thing to compile palemoon with gcc49 by
default if it's true that there are known problems with newer gcc versions.

Kind Regards,
Christoph-Simon Senjak

[1]:https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=15296&e=1
[2]:https://nixos.org/channels/nixos-unstable