[Nix-dev] Banning people from the mailinglist?

Moritz Ulrich moritz at tarn-vedra.de
Tue Apr 4 17:33:59 CEST 2017

Matthias Beyer <mail at beyermatthias.de> writes:

> We had the systemd conversation endless times now.
>
> We all know that some people don't like systemd and other ones like
> it.
>
> Can we just ban the (non-constructive) "fuck systemd" people? I
> mean... nobody benefits from this kind of behaviour and it creates
> frustration all over the place. Nobody gets happy with these kind of
> messages.
>
> How to deal with this? I propose one "Please leave us alone with your
> hate, we know about the concerns and blah, but please let it be" and
> after that banning the user.

I don't think banning would work. If someone *really* wants to annoy us
here we can just click himself another email address every other day.

My usual approach is ignoring such threads. We could additionally link
to some sort of faq entry explaining NixOS' usage of systemd and by this
get rid of long debates.

I think I'm fine with any approach. However, I fear that a discussion on
ban-critia might be more noise than the systemd debate. Plus, banning
people can casts a bad shadow on the community.