[Nix-dev] Banning people from the mailinglist?

Oliver Charles ollie at ocharles.org.uk
Tue Apr 4 17:55:24 CEST 2017

Matthias Beyer <mail at beyermatthias.de> writes:

> We had the systemd conversation endless times now.
>
> We all know that some people don't like systemd and other ones like
> it.
>
> Can we just ban the (non-constructive) "fuck systemd" people? I
> mean... nobody benefits from this kind of behaviour and it creates
> frustration all over the place. Nobody gets happy with these kind of
> messages.
>
> How to deal with this? I propose one "Please leave us alone with your
> hate, we know about the concerns and blah, but please let it be" and
> after that banning the user.

I hate to be that guy, but I think this is really pointing towards a
need for some form of Code of Conduct - if you want to go down the route
of someone making such decisions. I say that, because my immediate
reaction to your comment is: when do we ban? Is it literally for saying
"fuck systemd"? I assume it's not. So it requires a decision process.

Whether or not there is a need for a Code of Conduct, I would like at
least a transparent process into bans.

> Is there a technical possibility for this?

In the meantime, your mail client should have the ability to bin any

mail from particular people, which might be enough to let you carry on
without the noise.

-- ocharles