[Nix-dev] Nix init system

Jan Malakhovski oxij at oxij.org
Thu Apr 6 06:47:37 CEST 2017

Hi.

Just FYI.

At SLNOS project (see the "Church of Suckless NixOS" thread from two
weeks ago) we consensed on replacing systemd with s6 init [1], since it
gives the good parts of systemd (including socket activation, but done
right) with <1% of code and without forcing anything down your throat.

Read the previous thread for the rest of our agenda.

I don't think we are going public with it anytime soon, though, as its
taking tons of work, and we are just a bunch of random people with short
attention spans.

Since the announcement of SLNOS we got a bunch of interested people
contacting us, but that produced zero new code contributions or
actionable proposals out of the core team. Which is pretty meh.

If you are interested in helping - read our agenda from the previous
thread, take whatever you want, write a short proposal describing how
you are going to implement it, write invite request to The Pope, we will
invite you to our public conference, post your proposal there, we
discuss (mostly to avoid duplicate work), you implement, we help.

As I wrote before, you can ignore us and do whatever, but implementing
things from our agenda pretty much guarantees that it will get merged
into SLNOS with zero bike-shedding (we will massage your changes with or
without your consent, though) and you'll have (1+n) people that would
merge your changes with nixpkgs master from time to time (currently we
automerge once a day, which works most of the days, and fix failed
merges whenever we feel like it).

Cheers,
  Jan

[1] http://www.skarnet.org/software/s6/