[Nix-dev] Use PHP FPM with 2 PHP versions simultaneously

4levels 4levels at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 10:05:23 CEST 2017

Hi Nix Devs,

I'm convinced that I can manage to run 2 different PHP versions next to
eachother with NixOs.  I managed to install both php56 and php71 packages
(that's the easy part), but I lack the Nix skills to configure phpfpm, one
time with php56 and one with the php71 package.

PHP FPM has a Nix option to set the desired php package, like so

    services.phpfpm.phpPackage = pkgs.php56;

But I don't see how I can configure a second phpfpm package with a
different version.

The reason I'd like to know is that I'm running an API built with Lumen,
capable of PHP 7, next to a legacy symfony application that has to stick
with PHP 5.6, and I'd love to see the performance gains from PHP 7 in the
API.

Hope someone can put me in the right direction, I'm guessing I need to
generate a derivation for phpfpm etc but I'm really not too familiar with
how to go about this.

Kind regards,

Erik aka 4levels