[Nix-dev] Questions about Rust packaging in Nixpkgs

Benno Fünfstück benno.fuenfstueck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 23:27:57 CEST 2017

Hi,

I was looking into how the rust packaging works in nixpkgs recently and
I've got some questions about why it was done in the way it is right now:

* First, why do we need the `rustRegistry` package? As we have network
access during the fetch dependencies phase anyway, could we not access the
registry directly? Since every application in rust is supposed to come with
a lockfile, the result should still be reproducible

* Second, have you thought about using cargo vendor (
https://github.com/alexcrichton/cargo-vendor) for the fetch dependencies
phase? It seems like that could reduce the amount of custom code that we
need to maintain.

Regards,
Benno Fünfstück