[Nix-dev] NixOps failes to deploy: bash: Argument list too long

4levels 4levels at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 16:26:16 CEST 2017

Hi Nix Dev's,

I'm running (again) into this issue when trying to deploy a server with
quite a lot of key files (about 1600).

I think this is the generatd file causing the issue:
/nix/store/wz9mvb6x082h4mvww1gsf0x0l9fq8p7z-nixos-system-secure-16.09pre-git.drv
It looks like it's a single line of code, spanning 207073 characters, which
is pbbly more than the allowed argument length for bash.

Are there any guidelines to avoid running into this argument list error?

When I only add say 200 keys, everything works as expected.

I am able to adjust the deployment machine if needed to overcome this as
it's a dedicated nixos machine..

Kind regards,

Erik