[Nix-dev] IPython in Nixpkgs

Freddy Rietdijk freddyrietdijk at fridh.nl
Sun Apr 16 10:35:12 CEST 2017

Hi,

Currently we have IPython 5.3.0 in Unstable and 17.03. Soon IPython 6 will
be released which will only support Python 3.x, and that might mean the
Notebook will also no longer support a Python 2.x kernel.

As maintainer of the package my intention is to just upgrade to this latest
version on Unstable. Users that do want to use IPython / Notebook with a
2.x kernel can simply use the 17.03 version.

Now, I know there are some users of IPython / Notebook with the 2.x kernel,
so I do would like to hear what you think of this.

Having an older and newer version simultaneously is likely not going to
work because of different versions of dependencies that would be needed,
although I haven't checked yet whether that is really the case. In any
case, I do not plan to maintain the soon-to-be-older version.

Kind regards,

Freddy