[Nix-dev] Can't install NixOS on an NVME drive

Julien Tanguy julien.tanguy at jhome.fr
Wed Apr 19 09:55:45 CEST 2017

Hello Liam,

For NixOS to work, you have to change the SSD controller from RAID ON to
AHCI. This effectively *breaks *the windows install. As of today I haven't
found a better way to switch to windows than to change this SSD setting
each time I want to boot to another OS.

I wrote something about my NixOS install for a Dell XPS 15, you can read
about it here https://jtanguy.cleverapps.io/installing-nixos-on-a-xps-9560/
Domen Kožar pointed me out on Twitter to another config, with a more
elaborate setup with LUKS and such :
https://gist.github.com/grahamc/fba67370053acc01ac216a6e4b73d308

I hope you find what you need.
Julien

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 4:35 PM Liam Wigney <liamwigney950 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've been trying to install NixOS on the new XPS 13 but I've found that
> NixOS can't find the drive in /dev/. There's no listing for /sdax or /nvmex.
>
> I've looked online and found that changing some bios settings (Something
> about raid) makes it show up, however doing that stops windows booting.
>
> I'm thinking this could be related to the lenovo controversy
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/53ri0m/warning_microsoft_signature_pc_program_now/.
> The comments say that a Linux compatible driver should be available now but
> do I have to enable it somehow? How would I do this for the LiveCD?
>
> I'm brand new to Nix and NixOS so I'm sorry if I missed anything.
>
> Thanks.
> Liam

Julien Tanguy