[Nix-dev] How to downgrade or patch freetype-2.7 ?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 23:41:33 CEST 2017

Just my two cents.

On 04/19/2017 01:25 PM, Volth wrote:
> There is upstream-recommended way to "globally" set old interpreted
> version via environment variable FREETYPE_PROPERTIES, which is not a
> solution obviously: many processes do not inherit parent environment
> (sudo, browser renderers run in sandbox, ...) .

> Oh, LD_LIBRARY_PATH advice is very helpful.

I can't see how setting $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is easier than setting
$FREETYPE_PROPERTIES.  I believe the latter is safer, as it should only
affect freetype.

If you want details on (some) potential dangers of $LD_LIBRARY_PATH on
nontrivial libs, you can study https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/16779

--Vladimir