[Nix-dev] How to downgrade or patch freetype-2.7 ?

Thomas Tuegel ttuegel at mailbox.org
Thu Apr 20 16:59:22 CEST 2017

Volth <volth at volth.com> writes:

> The second (http://imgur.com/MDiydzS) is what we get with these
> fontconfig rules on NixOS-17.09 (freetype-2.7.1) with default v40.
> Antialias is off, but hinting is not in action.

Did you intentionally turn off hinting in that sample, or is it just not
working? Even with v40, it should be possible to achieve good results
with full hinting and no antialiasing.

> PS. v38 works similar to v40. It easy to turn in off by
> "config.fonts.fontconfig.ultimate.enable = false;".
> What I was looking for is a similar easy way to turn off v40 appeared
> in NixOS-unstable.

That setting doesn't actually turn off v38! It turns off the
fontconfig-ultimate settings, but FreeType 2.6 is still patched to use
v38 instead of v35. So, if you could get acceptable rendering with
FreeType 2.6 on NixOS (which used v38), we should also be able to fix it
with FreeType 2.7 (v40) too.