[Nix-dev] Can't install NixOS on an NVME drive

Julien Tanguy julien.tanguy at jhome.fr
Sat Apr 22 13:51:36 CEST 2017

I just stumbled upon this reddit post which explains how to do the trick
without reinstalling windows:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/66fr15/xps_15_9560_w_samsung_pm961_had_raid_not_ahci/

The trick is apparently to relax windows' safeboot rules to allow it to
boot into safe mode, then reboot to install the correct drivers.

I updated my blog post for future reference.

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 3:24 PM David Izquierdo <thecofee at gmail.com> wrote:

> If that was indeed the problem, the way to "keep" windows working is to
> reinstall it in AHCI mode. Its recovery tools may or may not be able to
> fix that too.
>

> On 19/04/17 09:55, Julien Tanguy wrote:
> > Hello Liam,
> >
> > For NixOS to work, you have to change the SSD controller from RAID ON to
> > AHCI. This effectively *breaks *the windows install. As of today I
> haven't
> > found a better way to switch to windows than to change this SSD setting
> > each time I want to boot to another OS.
> >
> > I wrote something about my NixOS install for a Dell XPS 15, you can read
> > about it here
> https://jtanguy.cleverapps.io/installing-nixos-on-a-xps-9560/
> > Domen Kožar pointed me out on Twitter to another config, with a more
> > elaborate setup with LUKS and such :
> > https://gist.github.com/grahamc/fba67370053acc01ac216a6e4b73d308
> >
> > I hope you find what you need.
> > Julien
> >

> > On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 4:35 PM Liam Wigney <liamwigney950 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I've been trying to install NixOS on the new XPS 13 but I've found that
> >> NixOS can't find the drive in /dev/. There's no listing for /sdax or
> /nvmex.
> >>
> >> I've looked online and found that changing some bios settings (Something
> >> about raid) makes it show up, however doing that stops windows booting.
> >>
> >> I'm thinking this could be related to the lenovo controversy
> >>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/53ri0m/warning_microsoft_signature_pc_program_now/
> .
> >> The comments say that a Linux compatible driver should be available now
> but
> >> do I have to enable it somehow? How would I do this for the LiveCD?
> >>
> >> I'm brand new to Nix and NixOS so I'm sorry if I missed anything.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >> Liam

Julien Tanguy