[Nix-dev] Simplify node packages?

Profpatsch mail at profpatsch.de
Tue Apr 25 10:37:23 CEST 2017

On 17-04-25 08:20am, Benno Fünfstück wrote:
> If we get upstream to support enough for our use case, the solution should
> be much more stable.

Upstream support might be helpful,
but that’s a wholly different beast.

> Hmm, so perhaps in we can unpack the tarballs already in `phase 1` and tell
> yarn to just look in $DIR for unpacked tarballs? Yarn should already have
> most of the code that is required for correct symlinking, no?

The code for correct symlinking is <4 lines,
maybe a few more for manpages and binaries.

I’d argue integrating it into yarn is even more frickle:
1. With yarn there’s now two implementations of npm packages.
2. We have to invest into lobbying so our integration
   isn’t broken by upstream sometimes. Then lobby again.
3. You’d definitely have to change yarn to have
   an offline mode where it doesn’t try to download stuff.
   I’m pretty sure upstream doesn’t care about that very much.

These are the problem points I see.

--
Proudly written in Mutt with Vim on NixOS.
A: http://five.sentenc.es