[Nix-dev] multi-user Nix store access problem

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 10:53:06 CET 2017

Hello, your'e welcome!

On 02/11/2017 10:35 AM, "Christian Kögler" wrote:
> I do not want to grant nix-daemon access rights to my private folder,
> otherwise other users on that machine have access to my data.

Note that after fetching into nix store the data becomes world-readable.
 For my development I combine the following two approaches.

For less frequent builds I use `src = ./.; # or some other path`.  That
causes nix to copy the whole directory to the nix store and pass that
path into the variable.  You can use such values as inputs to `fetchgit`
and similar, but the approach has multiple disadvantages.

For standard development cycle - edit, compile, run tests - I use
nix-shell --pure to set up an environment in the current git checkout
and compile by `make` invocation directly in the checkout.

--Vladimir