[Nix-dev] Python 3 as default

Freddy Rietdijk freddyrietdijk at fridh.nl
Mon Feb 13 10:08:07 CET 2017

Hi,

As you may be aware the plan is to change to Python 3.5 as default for
17.03. There were a couple of things that had to be done, and I think we're
ready now to make the change. Packages that require Python 2 are now pinned
to do so.

Now, obviously I haven't been able to test all packages myself, but judging
from what Hydra reports and from working from the `python3` branch I don't
expect any major issues.

The Python 2.7 interpreter had quite some patches, among one to make the
interpreter and Python packages more deterministic. I say more, because
they're not fully deterministic yet. I have some patches lining up for the
3.5 interpreter to improvement determinism there as well.

In any case, I would like to merge this as soon as possible. Any objections?

Freddy