[Nix-dev] Python 3 as default

Richard Ipsum richardipsum at fastmail.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 10:40:47 CET 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 10:08:07AM +0100, Freddy Rietdijk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may be aware the plan is to change to Python 3.5 as default for
> 17.03. There were a couple of things that had to be done, and I think we're
> ready now to make the change. Packages that require Python 2 are now pinned
> to do so.
>
> Now, obviously I haven't been able to test all packages myself, but judging
> from what Hydra reports and from working from the `python3` branch I don't
> expect any major issues.
>
> The Python 2.7 interpreter had quite some patches, among one to make the
> interpreter and Python packages more deterministic. I say more, because
> they're not fully deterministic yet. I have some patches lining up for the
> 3.5 interpreter to improvement determinism there as well.
>
> In any case, I would like to merge this as soon as possible. Any objections?
>
> Freddy

Hi, I'm not really an active contributor here but I follow NixOS because
I think it's a really cool project.

Am I to understand that NixOS is considering replacing the python2
interpreter with the python3 interpreter, as arch did?

If that's the case it may be worth considering this pep[1] first.

If I've misunderstood and there's no intention to symlink 'python' to 'python3'
then please ignore this. :)

[1]: http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/#id5