[Nix-dev] Python 3 as default

Moritz Ulrich moritz at tarn-vedra.de
Tue Feb 14 15:56:06 CET 2017

Profpatsch <mail at profpatsch.de> writes:

> On 17-02-14 01:18pm, Peter Simons wrote:
>> I hardly ever use nix-shell and I don't want to, to
>> be honest
>
> Completely off-discussion: Why is that?
> Convenience? nix-shell does too many strange things?
>
> Personally I use nix-shell for nearly everything I do
> nowadays because it’s so convenient.
> Even a buildFHSUserEnv is quickly set up for strange software.

I do the same, and I never want to work on a project without it. No more
incompatible versions between project-A needs foo-1.x and project-B
needs foo-2.x.

And in addition to using `shell.nix` + `nix-shell` I add `direnv` which
automatically applies the shell environments to the current shell when
`cd`ing into a directory with a `shell.nix` (or some subdirectory.)