[Nix-dev] Python 3 as default

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Tue Feb 14 16:22:27 CET 2017

Hi,

On 02/13/2017 10:08 AM, Freddy Rietdijk wrote:

> As you may be aware the plan is to change to Python 3.5 as default for 17.03.

What does it mean to make Python 3 the default? If it's changing the "python"
attribute or command to alias "python3", I don't really see the advantage in
doing that. It will just unnecessarily and silently break stuff (like user
scripts that have "#!/usr/bin/env python").

We could remove the "python" and "pythonPackages" attributes from Nixpkgs,
forcing use of "python2" or "python3". Then at least people's Nix expressions
won't change meaning silently.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/