[Nix-dev] Python 3 as default

Ricardo M. Correia rcorreia at wizy.org
Wed Feb 15 21:10:48 CET 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Profpatsch <mail at profpatsch.de> wrote:

> On 17-02-14 01:18pm, Peter Simons wrote:
> > I hardly ever use nix-shell and I don't want to, to
> > be honest
>
> Completely off-discussion: Why is that?
> Convenience? nix-shell does too many strange things?
>
> Personally I use nix-shell for nearly everything I do
> nowadays because it’s so convenient.
> Even a buildFHSUserEnv is quickly set up for strange software.

Personally, I try to avoid using "nix-shell" as much as possible because I
want "nixos-rebuild switch" to atomically install (and upgrade) all the
software that I usually need, including development packages.

With nix-shell, I risk having the packages I need become outdated (without
me noticing) and/or become garbage collected (which I do every day
automatically) and unavailable if I lose Internet access (e.g. because I'm
traveling).