[Nix-dev] buildMaven usage

laverne lists-laverne at schrock.email
Sun Feb 19 23:31:21 CET 2017

---- On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 13:08:07 -0600 zimbatm <zimbatm at zimbatm.com> wrote ----

Hi laverne,

did you manage to figure it out?

I think the usage would be to run https://github.com/NixOS/mvn2nix-maven-plugin on your project and then in your default.nix add something like:

```

{ pkgs ? import <nixpkgs> {}

, buildMaven ? pkgs.buildMaven

}:

buildMaven ./infofile

```

Where the `./infofile` is the file generated by mvn2nix (it should be a JSON file).

As you can see not a lot of people are packaging java apps :)

Cheers,

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 at 05:47 laverne <lists-laverne at schrock.email> wrote:

Hi,

I have a question about the function defined at https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/build-support/build-maven.nix

I wanted to use it to build Spark Frame (http://sparkjava.com/), however, while the function is in all-packages, it isn't doesn't seem to be used anywhere else in nixpkgs. Is anyone here using the function in other projects that they would be willing to link to so that I could get a feel for how to use it?

Thanks,

Laverne

No, I never did get it to work, but I hadn't tried the exact code that you recommend. Giving it a try produced the same results as other attempts:

<snipped>

building path(s) ‘/nix/store/4swv9zdqzclsfafp0j1hcks3xj47chgh-spark-core-2.5.4.jar’

unpacking sources

unpacking source archive /nix/store/i9zn88vg2s50a6nx5g0wy1xnn1j6rflb-spark

source root is spark

patching sources

configuring

no configure script, doing nothing

building

[INFO] Scanning for projects...

[ERROR] [ERROR] Some problems were encountered while processing the POMs:

[FATAL] Non-resolvable parent POM for com.sparkjava:spark-core:2.5.4: Cannot access central (https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2) in offline mode and the artifact org.sonatype.oss:oss-parent:pom:7 has not been downloaded from it before. and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 4, column 13

@

[ERROR] The build could not read 1 project -> [Help 1]

[ERROR]

[ERROR]   The project com.sparkjava:spark-core:2.5.4 (/tmp/nix-build-spark-core-2.5.4.jar.drv-0/spark/pom.xml) has 1 error

[ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM for com.sparkjava:spark-core:2.5.4: Cannot access central (https://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2) in offline mode and the artifact org.sonatype.oss:oss-parent:pom:7 has not been downloaded from it before. and 'parent.relativePath' points at wrong local POM @ line 4, column 13 -> [Help 2]

[ERROR]

[ERROR]

[ERROR] For more information about the errors and possible solutions, please read the following articles:

[ERROR] [Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/ProjectBuildingException

[ERROR] [Help 2] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/UnresolvableModelException

builder for ‘/nix/store/1ygg32yq12p4x5dwqyd23drpkv8ynyc7-spark-core-2.5.4.jar.drv’ failed with exit code 1

error: build of ‘/nix/store/1ygg32yq12p4x5dwqyd23drpkv8ynyc7-spark-core-2.5.4.jar.drv’ failed

So I'm thinking that I'm calling the buildMaven function correctly, but that it (or the mvn2nix plugin) doesn't support some of the features used in this pom.xml.