[Nix-dev] Linux Kernel: DCCP Double Free, Local Root (CVE-2017-6074)

Graham Christensen graham at grahamc.com
Fri Feb 24 04:04:38 CET 2017

Hello,

Recently, a kernel double-free vulnerability was reported by Andrey
Konovalov in the DCCP functionality of the Linux kernel. All kernels
compiled with CONFIG_IP_DCCP enabled (compiled in or as a module) are
vulnerable. If the module is not loaded, the kernel will load it on
first use.

VULNERABILITY STATUS
- - --------------------
NixOS's default configuration does compile the kernels with
CONFIG_IP_DCCP set to m and thusly we are vulnerable.

MITIGATION
- - ----------
Until we are able to release patches, users are able to mitigate the
issue by applying the following configuration and running `nixos-rebuild
switch`:

    boot.extraModProbeConfig = ''
      install dccp /run/current-system/sw/bin/false
    '';

If your kernel has already loaded the dccp module, you will need to
reboot:

    lsmod | grep dccp

However, if you don't use dccp and your kernel has loaded the module,
you should investigate the situation.

RELEASE SCHEDULE
- - ----------------
We are currently working to release patches and updates to NixOS 16.09
and Unstable. I hope to have patches being tested for release within the
next few hours.

MORE
- - ----
For more details, visit: http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2017/q1/471,
reply to me (graham at grahamc.com), or ask in #NixOS on Freenode.

Thank you to clever on Freenode for help on this email.

Thank you,
Graham Christensen
NixOS Security Team