[Nix-dev] Announcing: NixOS Security Team, and Request for Comments

zimbatm zimbatm at zimbatm.com
Fri Jan 6 20:01:59 CET 2017

In relation to GPG key signing, I think it's safe to trust online
identities it they are established trough enough channels. That's basically
what keybase.io is doing, they are a point of contact but the proof of
identity is distributed on multiple services. Personal verification is just
another target.

Someone who would want to subvert that process would have to Impersonate
all these services through MITM and also maintain that in place if the user
is moving between connections (and somehow not trigger chrome's certificate
monitoring).
As far as I know only state actors might be able to pull that off. But they
also have access to zeroday to hack and extract the private key directly
which seem more practical to me.

Anyways, it's good that you want to be careful, that's just my thinking.