[Nix-dev] Typing nix − funding campaign

Théophane Hufschmitt rg_nixos at regnat.ovh
Thu Jan 12 19:31:19 CET 2017

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the donation :)

I don't plan to try making this builtin into the nix codebase (at least not
for now) for several reasons, essentially :

- As I explained to Peter, the code will be in OCaml, so it won't be
  mergeable at all.

- The tool will probably only be useful for nix developpers, and it
  makes sense to me that it is not shipped with nix, as it won't be of
  any use to the casual user.

- This would be a huge modification for nix, so it won't be worth
  merging anyway until the tool is polished enough (so not before the
  end of the internship).

I'd want to support exactly the same syntax as nix does. That would
mean (depending of the position of the nix core-dev team about this)
either that the nix syntax would be extended to support type
annotations, either that those would be included in comments.