[Nix-dev] Arch is dropping i686. Should we?

Ryan Trinkle ryan.trinkle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 16:46:20 CET 2017

I provide i686 binaries for users of reflex-platform, a nix-based
environment for developing GUI applications in Haskell.  I have only a few
confirmed users of i686, but since their machines are correspondingly older
and less powerful than most of my other users', the benefit of nix's binary
caching is especially pronounced.  Building the reflex-platform ecosystem
from scratch takes about 6 hours on a fast, modern machine, so outdated
machines (especially if they are RAM-limited, as most 32-bit systems are)
is, nearly unworkable.

On the other hand, I don't know anything about the cost of supporting i686,
so if cutting it makes sense to others and enables nixpkgs as a whole to
move faster, I certainly won't complain.