[Nix-dev] Arch is dropping i686. Should we?

Ertugrul Söylemez esz at posteo.de
Thu Jan 26 21:29:08 CET 2017

> As far as I know, Nix has no way to gather statistics on how many people
> are using different architectures. This makes questions like this a bit
> awkward.
>
> One person on IRC said they think they may have used it once. Does
> anyone on this list use NixOS on i686? anyone on this list know anyone
> using NixOS on i686?

Arch has a different philosophy, so it makes sense for them to drop
legacy support sooner than other distributions.  It's also important to
consider that they actually have to manage two sets of packages, so
their maintenance cost may be a lot higher, while in Nixpkgs we can get
away with a single expression for both (and more) architectures most of
the time.