[Nix-dev] Arch is dropping i686. Should we?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 22:22:38 CET 2017

On 01/27/2017 02:13 PM, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> Another possibility is to reduce the number of packages that get built for i686,
> but it would be tricky to decide which packages to keep.

I had thought of building i686 packages "less often", but I couldn't see
an easy way to do that, except separating into another "slower" jobset.
That would also mean the complication of having separate i686 channels,
if we wanted to do this properly, etc.

> For some applications, i686 binaries require less memory and are
> slightly faster.

I still use i686 Firefox to lower its memory usage on my older laptop.
Those couple hundred MBs do make a difference there.  x32ABI should take
the better of both there, but it would be just another platform to build
and with much less general support than those that we have now.

--Vladimir