[Nix-dev] drone and nix (sort of solved)

Harmen harmen at lijzij.de
Fri Jun 16 13:21:40 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I while ago here I asked about using nix with drone.io (a CI system which uses docker), to deal with push based tests. I previously reported back with a solution with gitlab, but I did end up with a workable (not perfect) solution for drone.

On the 'drone agent' machine run this once:

    # docker volume create nix
    # docker run --rm -v nix:/newnix nixos/nix cp -a /nix/store /nix/var /newnix

in the .drone.yml files:

    pipeline:
      build:
        image: nixos/nix
        commands:
        volumes:
          - nix:/nix/

And whenever you want to update nixchannel:

    # docker run -v nix:/nix/ --rm -ti nixos/nix nix-channel --update

This will share the /nix directory with every build, so rebuild (and
downloads!) are kept to a minimum.

Maybe it helps someone.
Thanks!
Harmen