[Nix-dev] Issuepocalypse?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue May 9 21:57:58 CEST 2017

On 05/09/2017 08:39 AM, Matthew Bauer wrote:
> It’s become way too easy for issues to get buried. Lots of old issues
> aren’t even relevant any more but they stay open because no one see
> them.

If noone sees the issues, I'm not sure if they obstruct significantly.
I'm personally reconciled with the fact that we can't really solve all
use cases of all (potential) users anytime soon, and I don't think I/we
have resources to even try to solve them all.

> Regardless, 1600+ seems like too many for even a project as ambitious and
> large as Nixpkgs. Perhaps we need to be more aggressive in closing
> issues? Are there any other ways to reduce issues?

The bigger project the more tickets, especially if the community is
active.  For example, Debian has over 80k tickets open and they don't
seem to be in any bad state really https://www.debian.org/Bugs/  Our
tickets/packages ratio is most likely much lower as well.

> There’s nothing wrong with having lots of open issues if they are
> actually valid, but there’s definitely a lot of bogus ones out there.

+1