[Nix-dev] Background images of desktop managers

Tomasz Czyż tomasz.czyz at gmail.com
Tue May 30 14:20:53 CEST 2017

Shouldn't the wallpaper be the user/session setting rather than system
setting?

Looks like kde, gnome, xfce way of doing this seems to be more natural,
user changes the wallpaper in his session.

Personally, I'm using awesome window manager and I use it with xfce session
so I have all other goodies that awesome is not offering. For all other
cases I think this should be implemented on the user space.

> Hi Maximilian,
>
> Welcome to the list :)
>
> Did you try setting `services.xserver.desktopManager.default = "none"`? I
> suspect that might do what you wanted. The "none" desktop manager doesn't
> do anything but should still apply the wallpaper regardless of the
> windowManager that you chose.
>

> On Sun, 28 May 2017, 08:53 Maximilian Bosch, <maximilian at mbosch.me> wrote:
>
>> Hey there,
>>
>> before I start with the actual topic I'd like to introduce myself as this
>> is the first time I submit something to the `nix-dev` mailing list: I'm
>> Maximilian Bosch from Munich, I work for the Mayflower GmbH and I started
>> using NixOS at the beginning of 2017 and submitted several PRs since then.
>>
>> Right now I'm working on the following thing: https://github.com/
>> NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/26156
>>
>> As the title says, I'd like to have some background image support for
>> window managers as well (XMonad in my case). Right now I solve this with
>> some ugly shell in the `sessionCommands` script, but I'd like to have a
>> more suitable solution for this.
>>
>> Right now you can set an internal option in the {desktop,window}Managers,
>> but `bgSupport` isn't available for the windowManagers (see
>> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/nixos/
>> modules/services/x11/window-managers/default.nix,
>> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/nixos/
>> modules/services/x11/desktop-managers/default.nix).
>>
>> I decided to change this, please refer to the linked PR for more details
>> there.
>>
>> Right now it works quite fine with `i3`, but when I tried to test it with
>> desktopManagers like `gnome3` or `xfce` (both of them have `bgSupport`
>> enabled ATM), I realized that they set their own background internally and
>> override the stuff declared by the `feh --bg-scale` call.
>>
>> Therefore I'd like to know: is there any specific reason I'm missing why
>> desktopManagers have this bgSupport thign? It works fine with some
>> windowManagers (not all of them, `awesome` overrides the background as
>> well), but it seems to break with the desktopManagers.
>>
>> And if that's just some legacy thing: can the bgSupport be removed from
>> the desktopManagers?
>>
>> Have a great sunday and thanks in advance,
>>
>> Maximilian Bosch

Tomasz Czyż