[Nix-dev] Some NixOS beginner questions...

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sat Apr 5 18:19:31 CEST 2014

Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> On 30/03/14 23:01, Ben Franksen wrote:
>
>> (2) It seems impossible to install NixOS w/o installing the boot loader.
>
> You can set:
>
>   boot.loader.grub.device = "nodev";
>
> to prevent the installation of GRUB in the MBR while still generating a
> GRUB configuration in /boot that might be used for chainloading.

This is what I do now and it indeed works fine. (I was confused by the other
problem I had (installing from USB stick didn't work) and first thought it
had to do with not installing grub.)

> It should be possible to install on a partition as well, but that might
> not work
> with GRUB 2 due to the increased size (never tried).

I fixed that by creating a btrfs on some partition which is compatible with
grub2.

Thanks
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." -- Scott Adams