[Nix-dev] Unfree packages in Nixpkgs

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Wed Apr 9 16:53:21 CEST 2014

Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:

> While I appreciate that things are simple I'm sure we can do even
> better:
>
> nixpkgs.config.allowUnfreePackages = ["skype" "ati"];
> or simply "all" or true to allow all
>
> When setting to true you still may get "new unfree" software
> unnoticed.

We can just forbid packages/modules to look at the allowUnfreePackages
config option to enable special unfree contents.

In my opinion, turning the setting on should not change _anything_ (no
new installs, optional features enabled), just enable access to unfree
stuff. It's up to the user to enable/install those.