[Nix-dev] Problems installing NixOS with btrfs from a USB stick

Thomas Strobel ts468 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Apr 13 11:05:31 CEST 2014

Hi there,

I was running into problems when trying to install NixOS with btrfs from
a USB stick. I downloaded the current .iso and used unetbootin to create
a bootable USB drive from it.

Unfortunately, the resulting installation environment did not allow to
use mkfs.btrfs as it could not decide on the mounting status of my
partition. It seemed as if unetbootin prepared the system in a way that
prevented mkfs.btrfs from working.

Did anyone else experience that problem?

If so, then my question is if the .iso files could be changed in a way
that allows to prepare the USB stick with a simple dd-command, e.g. like
Debian or GRML ISOs do, and that keeps mkft.btrfs working?

Many thanks,

  Thomas