[Nix-dev] Deduplication

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Mon Apr 14 09:13:41 CEST 2014

Raahul Kumar <raahul.kumar at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks Kirill,
>
> I'll go email the BTRFS devs, see if they have a fix for this hardlink
> issue. Anyone else got a workaround for the dedup issue with Btrfs and
> nixos?

I think you misunderstood the output.
"There are X files with equal contents out of Y files in total"
is just the statistic that gets reported on finish.
It does not mean there are now still X files that can be deduplicated.
When all goes well, it means X files have all now been deduped.
On ext4 you get this same message as well.

So you can't really get an indication of the still-duplicate files that
are left because of btrfs' limit. But I think it's safe to just ignore
it. Files that have 3000+ (current btrfs max hardlink limit is just
under 4k) copies are probably just empty files/dirs anyway.