[Nix-dev] Deduplication

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 10:07:46 CEST 2014

On 04/14/2014 09:51 AM, Mathijs Kwik wrote:
> But it's still whole-file based. btrfs is internally able to support
> block-level deduplication, which is very cool for making copies of
> things like database copies and virtualization images. Of course these
> cases are already served by snapshot volumes, but still it would be nice
> to see the full power exposed someday:)

It should be relatively easy, because in most our updates the changes to
files are small and block-aligned (when name lengths don't change;
mostly just path references change on re-builds), moreover in most cases
one can easily guess which file pairs can have duplicate parts (even
without any advanced schemes like rolling hashes).

Vlada