[Nix-dev] Deduplication

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Mon Apr 14 09:51:22 CEST 2014

Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> writes:

> On 04/14/2014 08:44 AM, Raahul Kumar wrote:
>> I'll go email the BTRFS devs, see if they have a fix for this hardlink
>> issue. Anyone else got a workaround for the dedup issue with Btrfs and
>> nixos?
>
> AFAIK it causes no problems except for lowering the space savings of
> --optimise, and only negligibly, as only tiny files typically have so
> many instances.
>
> On btrfs it might be better (much faster?) to use bedup, but I've
> never tried. https://github.com/g2p/bedup

I've tried it a while back, but not on a nix store.
Works well and fast.

But it's still whole-file based. btrfs is internally able to support
block-level deduplication, which is very cool for making copies of
things like database copies and virtualization images. Of course these
cases are already served by snapshot volumes, but still it would be nice
to see the full power exposed someday :)