[Nix-dev] User's configuration files

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Apr 26 21:50:27 CEST 2014

Excerpts from Arseniy Seroka's message of Sat Apr 26 18:54:38 +0000 2014:
> Is it a good idea to create some option for a config file for a special
> user? I mean, for example, `users.extraUsers.userName.vimrc`. Or it's out
> of nixos idea?
If it works for you why not. About plugins: vim-pi is the project you
might want to get a list of packages definitions from to create "nix
derivations" eventually - however I won't spend much time on it due to
neovim becoming more popular soon eventually.

There are two ways:
  1) install .vimrc to /var/run/current-system/sw/vimrc/user.vim
  and "source" it in users .vimrc, then it'll be updated, and you can
  still have machine specific .vimrc lines

  (Thus install the .vimrc system wide, and make sure it gets installed
  to a user specific directory so that it doesn't collide with other
  user's vimrc (unlikely, cause you're managing your own machine) )

  2) override .vimrc .. which is a less nice eventually.

It all depends on what you do

Marc Weber