[Nix-dev] Missing drivers from the installation CD

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Wed Feb 6 21:09:23 CET 2008

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> I failed to install NixOS from the 0.11 ISO on a Dell D430 laptop.  The
> machine has an external USB CD drive.  It can boot from it; however, the
> installation CD doesn't have the `usb-storage' driver, making it
> impossible to access the CD once Linux has booted.

I'll add it to the initrd on the CD.  (It was on my todo list: there is a whole
bunch of modules that should be in the initrd, mostly SATA drivers.)

> In addition, the Ethernet card requires the `tg3' driver, which is not
> available either on the installation CD image.

Are you sure about that?  The tg3 module should be there, it's just not in the
initrd.  It should be loaded automatically in stage 2 of the boot.  As long as
you're not doing a network boot it shouldn't be needed in the initrd.