[Nix-dev] deb package for nix

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Fri Feb 29 16:55:41 CET 2008

I built Nix and got it to build hello - good. The binary download did
not work, or maybe it did but gcc got downloaded too. Not sure whether
it compiled or not. I must say the download part is pretty slow
(server bandwidth).

Are the build instructions actually in - I mean is that what nix uses:

  /nix/store/n20mkcf2bpld6sa63iar9n4f9xcnlmpz-channels/nixpkgs_unstable/pkgs/applications/misc/hello

Does it pull them from the server on updates?

Furthermore, if I were to create a package, where do I put the
instructions? How do I test them? How do I get those in the
repository? What is the policy for unstable? A nice short tutorial
would help.  The manual makes some big steps.

Nice to see there are packages for JAVA and ruby already. Be
interesting to provide ruby gem support - because that is
tricky on Debian itself.

Pj.