[Nix-dev] What about a wiki to summarize chat help and mailinglist discussions?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Jun 17 21:12:53 CEST 2008

I know we had that discussion already..
Aeh.. some people ( :) has discussed this and other stuff at FOSDEM.

But there are some things I wonder wether it's worth putting them
somewhere. A wiki contains less noise than mailinglist. Things I'd like
to put there:

- Ideas about improving nix (such as spearating doc, runtime, dev files
  of packages, ideas on decentralizing nix (distributed vcs etc))
- A lot of howtos (ndiswrapper & nixos) etc even if there is only the note "doesn't work yet"
  Of course they must reference the manual if appropriate.
- Pitfalls and solutions
        Things which could be put here:
                If thightvnc doesn't let you start your window manager remove
                .Xauthority and try again - don't know why but this did work for
                me
        xpdf & nixos ( add ghostscript fonts to .xpdfrc)
- People working on and progress
        XY is working on ..
        ZZ is improving ...
        satus about Haskell effort (not much progress yet)
        current branches purpose / status

And of course it would be nice to also send wiki changes to the
mailinglist to attract more reviewers?

Is someone working on setting up a wiki?
What do you think? User base is growing and maybe the more people know
about nix the more will start using it?

Marc Weber