[Nix-dev] Re: Trying to fix bzr-tools-1.5 package...

Bárður Árantsson spam at scientician.net
Thu Jun 26 19:13:14 CEST 2008

Michael Raskin wrote:
>>> Well, once we determine which plugins are ever needed we can create a wrapper.. Without wrapper the easiest thing is just symlinking it into ~/.bazaar/plugins . Installing in the PATH like Python uses by default has drawback - you cannot have symlink from current-system then.
>> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that last bit (symlink from
>> current-system), could you expand just a little bit for the benefit of a
>> total Nix noob like me?
>
> I do not use nix-env much, most of the time I install packages via extraPackages in configuration.nix (I use NixOS).

I know that this may be a bit premature given the current NixOS version
numbers, but is that typical?

Isn't one 'supposed' to use nix-env to install things? (... so that Nix
handles all the symlinking magic for you).

 > Putting files in share/ means they will appear in
/var/run/current-system/sw/share, so I can make symlink pointing at
/var/run/current-system/sw/share/bzrtools and put it in ~/.bazaar/plugins

I don't see how putting them in lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib
prevents symlinking from ~/.bazaar/plugins...?

Instead you'd just symlink from ~/.bazaar/plugins to
.nix-profile/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib. (Or alternatively
/var/run/current-system/sw/lib/python2.5/... if you've installer
bzrtools in the system profile.)

Sure you'd have to use nix-env -i, but as far as I understand the manual
that's what users are supposed to do when they want to use a package.

Cheers,

--
Bardur Arantsson
<bardurREMOVE at THISscientician.net>