[Nix-dev] Cleaning `/tmp' at boot time

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Wed Oct 29 14:35:41 CET 2008

Hi,

Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl> writes:

> Author: eelco
> Date: 2008-10-29 13:10:49 +0000 (Wed, 29 Oct 2008)
> New Revision: 13145
>
> You can view the changes in this commit at:
>    https://svn.nixos.org/viewvc/nix?rev=13145&view=rev
>
> Modified:
>    nixos/trunk/boot/boot-stage-2-init.sh
>
> Log:
> * Disable deleting /tmp at boot time.  This should be controlled
>   by an option (which should default to off, IMHO).  I was rather
>   surprised when I rebooted my system and it started deleting all
>   of /tmp (which, for instance, contained some test DB/repos for
>   the Subversion server)...

Hmm, I'll have to disagree with that.  :-)

`/tmp' was never meant to store things in the long term, as the name
implies.  We could make it an option, but then it should be "on" by
default.  That's what people coming from other Linux distros or other
Unices expect I think.  And it obviates the need to manually run "sudo
rm -rf /tmp/*" on a running system that may contain bind mounts to
/nix/store...

Thanks,
Ludo'.