[Nix-dev] Switching the default kernel in configuration.nix

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 12 13:43:24 CEST 2009

2009/4/12 Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de>:
>> I'll look at how the existing kernel is being built and I suppose if I
>> run into trouble, I can just build 2.6.28.9 again without pae but it's
>> the adding to top-level all-packages.nix and the switching to the new
>
> Tell niksnut (Eelco Dolstra) about the pae issue. I've contacted him
> about 2.6.28 because of the same issue. I think He's removed that
> option.
> Either use tu customizable expression or the getConfig system to
> override that option (or just edit that line in nixpkgs repo)
>
> Grep it for CONFIG_X86_PAE=y
>
> Probably it's sufficient to turn it off for i686 systems.
>
> Sincerly
> Marc Weber

Thanks Marc,
I think it's going to be a good idea if I build the 2.6.28 kernel
before 2.6.29 first, Judging by what I've experienced with 2.6.29 on a
different machine.
I'm confident enough to try building 2.6.29 separately but building
something that I know should work first is going to be the way to
start I think.

Thanks again,

Tony