[Nix-dev] Re: Configuring dual head

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 14 11:45:11 CEST 2009

2009/4/14 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:
> Hello,
>
> These days, multiple screen are handled via the RandR extension, e.g.,
> via xrandr(1), grandr(1), or similar.
>
> For instance, on my laptop, the screen plugged in the DVI output is
> switched on with "xrandr --output TMDS-1 --auto"; it can be made to
> appear above the laptop's LCD screen with "xrandr --output TMDS-1
> --above LVDS".  Typing just "xrandr" lists the available screens.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo'.

Thanks Ludovic,
I can use kde 4.2's randr configurator to adjust the modes etc, it's
just turning the dual head on full stop that's causing issue right now
and I think it's to do with the fact I haven't set the secondary
monitor etc using configuration.nix. If I enable dual head clone, I
just get a cursor in the top left hand corner instead of the xorg
server starting, Which indicates that the server can't start because
something is wrong. I'm betting settings aren't there.

I've got loads of stuff to do before I try getting this dual head up
and running but I do know that xorg can do it.

Thanks again for the help,

Tony